I’ve started automating my home using Home Assistant (http://home-assistant.io). It’s a lightweight, python-based, open source home automation platform that’s got many different pre-built components available and ready to go.
I’m currently running the platform on a CentOS 7 machine that’s doing other things on my network and I have these devices configured/integrated:
- 9 Z-wave switches via Vera
- 2 Z-wave dimmer via Vera
- Onkyo TX-NR616 via Onkyo component
- Global Caché iTach IP2IR (info link)
- ASUSWRT presence detection
- Google Home via emulated Hue bridge
- 1 Sonoff switch with alternate firmware (info link)
- 2 Roku devices
- 3 Amazon dash buttons via Dasher
- MQTT Broker
- Horizontal Plantation Blinds
- MQTT Integrated Doorbell
- Amazon Echo Dot
As part of this process I’m stumbling through re-learning Python so I can commit to the Home Assistant project.